The City of Ghent has engaged us to set up an 'inclusion and diversity' training program for their SPOCs diversity and inclusion for each department. The SPOC D&I team should feel empowered to deal with critical questions about D&I. In addition, they also need to know how to convert the vision and theory into concrete actions for their departments. Everywhere, the question mainly came from the SPOCs themselves because they did not feel natural enough about the theme and would like to learn more about it.
Based on these needs, a three-part trajectory is running that consists of a basic session, a session where people learn to deal with critical questions and a concluding session where they learn how to convert theory into practice. In this training course, the basic theories, terms and concepts about D&I or DEI, the business case about D&I and the benefits and conditions for D&I were taught. In addition, the SPOCs receive the necessary knowledge about change management and interpersonal skills to ensure a successful implementation of inclusion.
This project is still ongoing. Through our sessions, the participants can:
- recognize the various unconscious biases in oneself and others;
- deal with various unconscious biases in oneself and others;
- understand the different worlds and empathize with other people's worlds;
- include communication and trading;
- deal with critical questions about D&I;
- facilitate difficult conversations;
- facilitate a change journey to implement inclusive practices;
- translate the vision and theory into concrete actions for their department;
- set priorities and define projects, actions and quick wins;
- get started with the plan to achieve the predetermined objectives.